Friday 17 September 2010

An enjoyable day

Day 7 Dalrymple to St Johns Town of Dalry

34 miles today, total miles 470, moving average 9.6 mph, overall average 5.2 mph, total time 6.5 hrs, total climbed 2,625 ft

A much easier day today.

Good nights sleep last night, leisurely start, big cooked breakfast and didn't set off until 9:30am. I could get used to that!

Immediately hit several big hills and was starting to regret having that breakfast. After 5 miles it flattened out and the going improved. Sun was shining nearly all day and although it is still windy, it was really enjoyable.

Although not as dramatic as the Highlands, the countryside is really beautiful. Rolling green hills as far the eye can see, rivers and lakes and virtually no houses. Big agricultural area - wheat, cows and sheep.

Cycled onto Dalmellington where many of my ancestors came from in the hope of learning a bit about where and how they lived. The railway museum I planned to visit closed 3 years ago and the mining museum was closed because its a bank holiday in Scotland! So didn't get to see a lot. The town itself looks really run down. I guess since the mines closed the place is just slowly dying - sad.

So had loads of time and took my time cycling onto my next stop. Even sat in one beautiful spot sunbathing for a while!

St Johns Town of Dalry is a lovely little village on top of a hill and which basically consists of one street and a beautiful church. Soon as I arrived and was looking for the hotel someone asked if I needed help. Got chatting and he told me he was planning to JOGLE next year. The hotel owner also did it last year!

Tomorrow 71 miles to do, down to Dumfries, across the border into England and staying at a small village near Carlisle. The route is suppose to be a lot flatter, so I'm looking forward to that!

Gavin

1 comment:

  1. Gavin - I am not sure if you are brave or just mad! Sounds like really hard work but a fantastic way to see the countryside. I don't think I could ever do it, unless it was a 1,100 mile pub crawl.... Good luck for the rest of the journey and welcome back to England!

    ReplyDelete