Monday 13 September 2010

A hard second day

Day 2 Tongue to Duncanstan

78 miles today, total 165 miles, moving average 10.1 mph, overall 7.8 mph, cycle time 7:36 hrs, total time 10 hrs.

A really hard day today and I didn't think I was going to make it! When I opened the curtains in the hotel this morning - pouring with rain. Oh dear! By the time I got up and had breakfast it had stopped - a good omen.

Lung bursting climb out of Tongue and then hill after hill for miles. By 10am I had only done 13 miles and was exhausted and feeling sick. Struggled on for 25 miles of this getting slower and slower, knowing there was no way I would make the 75 miles to the next B&B like this. Then suddenly the road changed completely. Long straight road with a slight downward incline through fields and forest. Absolutely flew along this for the next 15 miles to Largs, where I had lunch. Feeling a lot better and more confident.

Next 10 miles to Bonar Bridge was also good, generally downhill with a few steady inclines. Stopped for a break by the suspension bridge in Bonar Bridge thinking it's going to be fine.

But I didn't bargain on the nasty sting in the tail that is the B9169 to Alness!! As soon as I turned onto this road it started to climb.....and climb......and climb.....and climb. Not the sharp vicious Highland hills I had been struggling up so far. A gentler slope that I could grind my way up at a slow but steady pace. But it just went on without any let up for 800 ft wearing me down.

For the final 15 miles I struggled badly again becoming more tired and having to keep stopping for a rest. Onto the dreaded A9 and across the Cromarty Bridge, which wasn't too busy.

The final slap in the face was the steep 3 mile climb after the bridge to the B&B. But I made it at 18:30 after 10 hrs through sheer willpower.

Despite the hard day the scenery was just breathtaking and so amazingly varied. I have been to Scotland many times before but never seen if from a bike so close up and personal. When the sun shines it has to be one of the most beautiful unspoilt countries in the world. When it rains here......it really rains!

Great B&B and I am looking forward to long sleep. Semi rest day tomorrow with only 30 miles to do through Inverness and along Loch Ness to Foyers and the famous waterfalls. Looking forward to that, although the forecast is for pouring rain all day!

Time for bed.
Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment