Wednesday 15 September 2010

A hilly day

Day 5 Glencoe to Lochgilphead (I can't pronounce it either)

Miles today 73 miles, total miles 341, moving average 9.9 mph, overall average 7.0 mph, total time 10.5 hrs, total climbed 4,950 ft

Is it really only day 5 - feels like I've been doing this for weeks.

B&B really excellent and run by a great couple who was so helpful. Also really great meal in the pub opposite.

So another hard day but not for the reasons I expected.

Didn't sleep too well last night listening to the gale blowing outside. 30 mph winds forecast for today, had to cycle the first 30 miles totally exposed along the coast road to Oban and wasn't even sure I'd even be able to stay on the bike, let alone make 70+ miles!

Set off at 8am and although it was pretty windy the cycling was good. Pretty flat road, not much traffic and the coast road was just stunning. Even though I was tired I was flying along and clocked up 40 miles by midday. Was going to be a good day........

.....then I turned off onto a quiet scenic route that had been recommended.

It was indeed an amazing route with mountain streams, waterfalls, pine forests and fantastic views over the beautiful Loch Awe.

But it was also incredibly hilly. No monster hills just 300-700 ft hills one after another for 20 miles. It was relentless....finished climbing one, short downhill and immediately another hill. Every bend I turned there was another one! I don't think there was a flat stretch anywhere on that road. For 4 hours I climbed hills, my pace dropped to less than 5 mph and I was becoming more and more exhausted. I had to push the fully loaded bike up loads of them. By 3:30 I still had 20 miles to go and was running out of energy. Luckily a few miles further on the road changes, flatten out and was able to pick up speed and was very glad to get to the B&B at 5:30.

Have an established my little routine each evening when I arrive. First wash the cycle clothes in travel wash, wrap it in a towel and twist until as dry as possible. Hang it up (getting used to sleeping in a room full of damp clothes!) and it is usually dry by the morning. Then shower, check & oil the bike and go looking for dinner. Early to bed.

Some cyclists do this trip travelling what's called "credit style" doing everything possible to keep the weight they carry down to the absolute minimum. This includes cutting the handle of their toothbrush and weighing every single item. Used to think this was being obsessive, but since starting this little trip I am beginning to think the same way. Each night I take great delight in tearing out the completed pages from my printed maps (backup in case the GPS fails) - that's a few more milligrams I don't have to carry anymore! And when the batteries need replacing in the GPS last night - deep joy that I could bin the incredibly heavy old batteries!! Pretty sad ay?

Crossing the Isle of Aaron tomorrow. Got two ferries to catch one onto to Aaron, cycle round Aaron and then ferry of again to the mainland. Tight schedule and 73 miles to cycle, although weather forecast is improving.

Right it's past my bedtime.

Gavin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gavin,

    Sounds like hard work but a proper adventure, keep it going and don't even think about giving in to the temptation of a bus (easy for me to say). Hope today has gone well and you get some sunshine along the way. Word of warning when your in Jock land, don't call it a full English breakfast. The Clamours have been unsheathed for far lesser insults. Well done and keep it going.

    ReplyDelete