Friday 3 September 2010

What it is all about?

I will be cycling 1,100 miles (nearly 1,800km) from John O’Groats (JOG) to Lands End (LE) in September.

For those who don't know, JOG is the most northerly point of the UK and LE is the most southernly point. This famous challenge is done by 100s and probably 1,000s of people each year by foot, bike, car and using all sorts of other wierd and wonderful modes of transport.
I start my JOGLE attempt on 11th September and plan to finish 26th. However, making my way to John O Groats (not the most accessible place in the world!) takes me a day, so the journey begins with catching the sleeper train evening of 9th September to Inverness, another train from Inverness to Thurso and a warm up 30 mile cycle ride from Thurso to JOG. The challenge itself begins Saturday 11th September as I cycle back through Thurso, turn south and onto the remote wild beauty of Scotland.

I will average 70 miles a day (longest day is 79 miles - unless I get lost along the way, then it could be a lot longer!). I will do this unsupported, which means I will carry everything I need with me and I have only myself to rely on if anything goes wrong (gulp). However, I will be staying in B&Bs each night. Camping was a step too far at my tender age and I need a proper bed and a shower after putting in so many miles. Downside of this is I have to reach my scheduled next stop each day or the whole plan starts to fall apart. Therefore any mechnical probems or other delays along the way will have to be sorted out quickly or I could be cycling in the dark!

Why am I doing such a crazy thing?!
Several reasons:

  • It’s a personal challenge and an ambition that I had for some time and which has taken months of planning and training.
  • Maybe hard to believe, but it’s also a holiday and an experience that I am looking forward to. The vast majority of the route is planned on quiet back roads and goes through some of the most remote and beautiful areas of the UK.
  • To get fitter!
  • In memory of my father who cycled all over Scotland and Ireland in his youth and used to take me on cycling holidays.
  • And last but not least to try and raise money for a worthwhile charity.

Sponsorship

I will donate all funds raised to The British Heart Foundation. All the costs of the trip will be paid for by me.
Therefore, I would really appreciate it if you would sponsor me (£1 a mile would be fine!) to help me raise as much money as possible for this worthwhile cause. I have registered with the British Heart Foundation and you can make a donation directly using the following link:



Training & Preparation
This mad idea was born on a family holiday to Lands End last October. Since then I have been progressively planning, preparing and training. Planning the whole route, finding and booking B&Bs, buying the bike and equipment, setting up the bike and learning how to maintain it and last but not least the training has been a massive undertaking and seems to have taken over my life.

I will have done just over 2,000 miles of training mainly over the last 4-5 months. Not having cycled for over 20 years this has been tough. I remember the first few rides I did during the very cold winter we had and having to go to bed to recover after a 10 mile ride! Now I have built up to the point where I have cycled over 100 miles in a day and am doing over 250 miles a week. Even the hills have got easier and I can still breath when I reach the top of most of them. I still have to walk up the real monster ones.


Progress Reports
Once I start the trip I plan to update this blog each evening using my mobile, if I have the strength to press the keys that is! So if you are interested I hope you will look in from time to time to see how it's going and maybe post a few words of encouragement.

Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment