Monday 13 September 2010

No sign of Nessie

Day 3 Tongue to Foyers (Loch Ness)

34 miles today, 202 miles so far, moving average 8 mph, overall average 5.7 mph, cycle time 4:38 hrs, total time 6 hrs, total ascent 2,855 ft

So an easier day today with less miles. 
Was very pleased that the forecast torrential rain fell in the night and I had a dry but cloudy start. Took my time heading towards Inverness. Plodding my way up a long climb when I suddenly notice I'm not on the GPS track anymore. Missed my turn and I wasn't going to backtrack 3 miles. Looked at the backup paper map - no problem, carry along this road to the A9 and then a cycle track alongside the A9 brings me back where I should be......or so I thought!

Turn along the cycle track okay but after a while it comes to and end and a little blue sign points me to the A9. Okay I cycle on the footpath beside the A9 when that also disappears. I should explain that the A9 is the main road into Inverness and a dual carriageway which cars and trucks are hammering along at over 70 mph. A cyclists worst nightmare!

I can see where I need to be which is the cycle track on the other side. My choices are cycle along the A9 and dice with certain death or get across to the other side. I am working out how I can dash between the screaming traffic, haul my bike over the crash barrier and then dash between the traffic on the other carriageway, when I notice a tiny little blue sign almost totally overgrown. It's a cycle track saying Inverness 4 miles but pointing in the wrong direction? Eventually I find a tiny overgrown path which leads down and under the A9 to the other side and I live to cycle on!

Then a few miles further another surprise. I've been following a blog for someone called Ruth who is doing the same as me only south to north and who left LE 2 weeks ago. I'm going along the cycle path on the Kessock Bridge into Inverness when she comes the other way! What are the chances of that?! Told me she was getting stronger each day now so there's hope for me yet!

Cycled along Loch Ness with the wind picking up and the rain getting heavier and, although I looked, no sign of the monster.

Staying at Foyers on Loch Ness very close to the famous waterfalls. 

Bit worried about tomorrow. 68 miles to  do, starting with a big climb up to Fort Augustus, onto Fort William and then to Glencoe. 20 mph headwinds forecast so could be a very long day.

Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment