Tuesday 14 September 2010

Nearly didn't make it today

Day 4 Foyers to Glencoe

66 miles today, 268 miles so far, moving average 8.7 mph, overall average 6.5 mph, total time 10.5 hrs, total 4,654ft

Knew it was going to a tough day with the route and weather forecast so left the B&B at 7am. Meant I missed the full English breakfast and just had a dried sandwich the grumpy landlady begrudging made me the night before.

Had a terrible start. Climbing big hills up to a massive 1,300 ft, fighting against very strong winds and the rain. Took me two and half hrs to cover 10 miles and I was exhausted. With another 55 miles to go I wasn't going to make it. Decided to carry on to St Augustus a further 3 miles and then try and catch a bus to Fort William.

Got to St Augustus. Really great place with the Calendonian canal and surrounded by mountains. Had a cup of tea and something to eat and started to feel a bit better. Decided to try and carry on and see if I could get a bit further. Gradually things got better  and I got stronger and stronger. Climbing up and up on the A82 to Fort William seemed to go on for miles and all day long spent fighting a headwind and constant pouring rain. 

Was absolutely soaked by the time I reached Glencoe but very happy I made it and that my stamina seems to be improving. Also Glencoe is an amazing place and arguably the most dramatic valley in Britain. Has a special significance because it was my father's favourite place and he himself cycled through it 65 yrs ago as a young man.

71 miles to Lochgilphead tomorrow and same 20+ mph winds and rain forecast. Groan.....

Gavin

1 comment:

  1. My first day back today and I have to say Mr Hill I am well impressed by your adventures so far! Well done you! How interesting to read about your travels, I don't know how you have the strength to write about them at the end of a day though, collapsing into a warm fluffy bed would be my preference! Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete