Saturday 25 September 2010

It's true - Cornwall is very hilly!!

Day 15 Cheriton Bishop to St Austell

69 miles today, total miles 1,060, moving average 8.5 mph, overall average 6.9 mph, total time 10 hrs, total climbed 5,949 ft

Left at 7:15. B&B really great and laid on an early breakfast just for me. Very cold first thing but soon warmed up after a couple of hills.

Devon was pretty hilly and at Okehamptom struggled to even push the bike up some monster hills. Eventually found the cycle track that ran for 8 miles to Lydford - great route through some fantastic scenery and flat.

Had a good run and clocked up 40 miles by 12:30. However, got a lot tougher the moment I entered Cornwall and the hills for the last 15 miles were relentless - up and down big hill, after big hill. The old legs were getting very heavy and tired and had to push the bike up quite a few. You know it's a big hill when its so steep that you can barely push the bike up it. Even some of the downhills were very hairy and I could hardly keep the bike under control even with the brakes full on (its at moments like that you hope there's plenty of disc pad left!).

Weather sunny most of the day and no rain, although the wind was pretty strong in the afternoon.

Eventually arrived in St Austell, which seems to be built on a mountain side. Couldn't find the B&B and was climbing up and down yet more hills trying to find it. Made it in the end, but will probably meed a winch to get the bike to the top of the road in the morning, its so steep.

So I can't believe it - tomorrow is the last day and I will be at Lands End!!! I truthfully do not know how I have got this far. It just doesn't seem possible or even real.

However I still have at lot more Cornish hills to tackle tomorrow and about 70 miles to cover. Each day my legs become heavier and the tiredness increases. But I have to make it to the end, even if I walk (or crawl) up every hill!

Right time for an early night.

Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment