Thursday 16 September 2010

A good day today

Day 6 Lochgilphead to Dalrymple

94 miles today (about 15 by ferry), total miles 437, moving average 9.9 mph, overall average 7.8 mph, total time 12.3 hrs, total climbed 3,218 ft

Legs were tired after all the climbing yesterday. Left 6:30am this morning because it was critical I catch the ferry onto the Isle of Aaron. I set off just as the sun was rising over the sea and the coastal scenery down to the ferry was simply stunning. Had a good 25 mile run and got there just as the earlier ferry left. Wouldn't have helped though if I caught that one.

Great experience going across to Aaron on the small ferry (only 3 cars and me) and had a good cycle round to Broddick on the other side. Two cyclists I met who were doing LEJOG total me there was a very big hill on Aaron, but although it was tough it wasn't as bad as several I had already climbed - they are in for shock when reach Fort Augustus! 

Aaron was very beautiful and nearly all morning I cycled along stunning coastline with the constant smell of the sea. There seemed to be sea birds everywhere. The whole peninsula from Lochgilphead down to Mull of Kintyre (as in the Rod Stewart song!) seems stunning and a part of Scotland I never knew about.

Had lunch and 2 pots of tea in a cafe in Broddick whilst waiting to catch the ferry - nice change to be off the bike. The ferry from Broddick to Ardrossan is an enormous ship and I watched it swallow dozens of trucks, vans and cars (cyclists boarded last of course). An hour sailing gave me chance for a rest so found a comfortable seat and had a doze. The rather attractive Scotch lady sitting opposite must of thought I was a tramp - smelly cycling gear and unshaven!

35 miles from the ferry terminal at Saltcoats to the B&B. Total change of scenery and in the Lowlands now  - mountains and lochs replaced by rolling green hills and easier cycling. Really pleasant run and I think the nap helped.

A few light showers today but mainly sunshine and clouds. Wind still battering me at times though.

Half day rest day tomorrow and only 30 miles to do. Did some research into my fathers family history a few years back. A lot of my ancestors were coal or iron miners around Dalmellington in the 1700s and 1800s. So going to visit the area and the mining museum. Although the village where most of ancestors lived no longer exists might try to find where it was. Either way should be interesting.

Then onto St Johns Town of Dalry (there's a place name for you!) where the guy who owns the hotel has done JOGLE and offered me the use of his tools to check my bike over and to buy me a beer - can't ask for more than that!

Lie in tomorrow and time for a leisurely breakfast. Bliss.

Gavin

1 comment:

  1. well Gavin you are doing a great job I must say, keep up the hard work, and just think you will be joined next week by Steve so you can share the pain with him.

    I am not sure but i believe he has got a tandem!!!!!!!!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete